Whilst we are all in lockdown, Members Caribe' (who normally serve up Caribbean street food from their kiosk at Pop Brixton) are here to liven up your kitchen with their famous recipe for Curry Goat... enjoy! For more of their recipes, follow them on Instagram @caribe_uk.
Caribe's Curry Goat
1kg goat meat, shoulder or leg meat, separate or mixture of both bone in
½ lemon, juice
2 tbsp/30g curry powder
2 tsp/10g ground cumin
1 tsp/5g ground coriander
2 tbsp/30ml vegetable oil
1 litre water
50g creamed coconut
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 fresh thyme sprigs
3 bay leaves
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 tsp/10g salt
2 tbsp/10g sugar
½ scotch bonnet (approx 10g)
1. Place goat meat into a bowl with lemon juice then cover with water, set aside (can stay in the lemon water while preparing everything else)
2. Heat a deep pan or dutch pot on medium with oil, curry powder, ground cumin and coriander
3. Cook for a minute then add 100ml of the measured water slowly making into a paste
4. Add the remaining water along with coconut, garlic, bay leaves, onion, scotch bonnet (add a little more if you’d like more heat) salt and sugar - continue to stir until coconut is dissolved
5. Strain goat meat from lemon water then add to the pan with curry base. Top with a little extra water if needed to ensure the goat is covered. Bring to boil.
6. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours until meat is tender and slides off the bone easily.